Alexander McCall Smith
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Birthday: 24 August
Star Sign: Virgo
Date: 11 June 2006
Where: The Staffroom, Crawford College
The Book: Blue Shoes and Happiness (Polygon)
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
Lucia from the Lucia books
2. What is your most treasured possession?
My collection of paintings - I particularly enjoy the works of William Crosbie
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
We have to forgive our enemies
4. What is your greatest fear?
Being eaten by a shark
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
The poetry of W H Auden
6. What is your greatest regret?
Not having understood the world earlier
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
One of the better characters in an Iris Murdoch novel
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
Collected Poems of W H Auden
9. What is your favourite journey?
The first part of the train ride from Edinburgh to London
10. What do you most value in a friend?
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
12. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite?
Dream Angus - not yet released
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Persist, have courage, write form the heart.
14. What are your favourite names?
15. What do you do as a hobby?
Play wind instruments
16. What are your top 3 books?
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, The Conservationist by Nadine Gordimer, A Fortunate Lover by Albert Stacy.
17. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
They come to me - perhaps I hear a chance remark. And there's something vivid about Botswana - the little human decencies, perhaps. They are here in South Africa too.
11 June 2006